How do you usually start your morning? Most probably you cannot wake up without cup of coffee, so it is time to think about how it affects your body. There are a great amount of myths associated with the most popular “doping”, but how to understand whether coffee is harmful or useful to you?
What is coffee?
It is well-known fact that coffee is made from roasted beans and strength of the drink usually depends on the roast degree. By the way, under a cup of coffee we mean a drink made in coffee machine or poured coffee without adding milk or cream. We also do not consider instant coffee, because its strength is lower than the grain, moreover it loses all aromatic compounds and all the nutrients during the process of conversion.
The positive effects of your favorite drink
- It contains antioxidants; they remove free radicals (which cause faster aging) from your body
- These antioxidants also help fight cancer cells, some heart diseases and even Parkinson’s disease
- Some studies show that good organic coffee reduces the probability of colon cancer developing by stimulating the activity of the digestive system.
- It reduces headaches by dilating brain vessels
The negative effects
- Addiction; if you drink it too much, it may lead to dehydration, thus the water balance is very difficult to restore
- Coffee increases the gastric acidity and blood pressure
- If you drink coffee on empty stomach it can cause GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and signs of gastritis. The reason is that coffee provokes production of hormone cholecystokinin which stimulates digestion
- Some preservatives negatively affect metabolism and may cause cellulite appearance
- Sometimes it has reverse effect; coffee increases your efficiency after one hour drinking it, but one more hour later you start feeling fatigue
Why it is better not to drink coffee immediately after awaking?
The main hormone our body produces is cortisol; it helps you to wake up in the mornings and fall asleep in the evening. The highest level of hormone is in the morning and if you drink coffee at this time it will block its production, it means that after some time you will want to sleep again. Usually,cortisol production occurs from 6 to 9 am, and the peak is at 8-9 am, so it is better to drink coffee at 10 am or after lunch.
What if you stop drinking it at all?
1.Your body will absorb vitamins better
Caffeine “kills” vitamin B, reduces the level of iron, potassium, zinc and calcium in your body. One cup of this drink slows down the absorption of calcium for three hours. Moreover, caffeine washes away calcium from your organism, and as a result bones become more fragile.
2.You can lose weight
As we have said, caffeine increases the production of cortisol and impact on work of the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands and thyroid gland take care of the metabolism – because of caffeine, it slows down and you gain weight.
3.Your immune system will be stronger
Caffeine is not the best friend of our immune system; it also related to the thyroid gland. The lower performance of the thyroid gland leads to a weakening of the immune system and it may cause various diseases.
4.You will be more energetic
The drink makes the body produce adrenaline, and if you drink it all the time, then you need more and more caffeine each time for the body to respond to it with the same efficiency. As a result you start feeling tired more quickly.
Despite the fact that this drink has undeniable advantages, it is not suitable for everyone. In addition, coffee-lovers, as a rule, drink on average four cups a day, which exceeds the daily norm. Thus, try to follow all your body reactions to it and do not drink it too often.
Recommended article: Health Benefits of Coffee That Will Impress You