What we commonly call chub rub is known as inner thigh chafing in medical terms. This is a very common problem among both men and women and often leaves you in a very uncomfortable situation. However, it doesn’t mean you have to live with it forever. There are numerous methods and ways by which you can not only get rid of any inner-thigh chafing but also prevent its occurrence in the future.
Here, in this article, we are going to tell you everything about inner-thigh chafing including what it actually is, what causes it, how to treat and how to prevent its reoccurrence.
What is inner thigh chafing?
Inner thigh chafing is a relatively common skin irritation problem. It occurs when your inner thighs rub against each other. The rubbing of skin against the skin causes rashes, skin damage, and irritation.
This problem can occur in any individual but is comparatively more common in obese and overweight people whose thighs are thicker and more prone to friction and rubbing. In addition, people who exercise more often are also vulnerable to inner-thigh chafing as friction and skin rubbing occurs frequently.
What causes inner-thigh chafing?
This problem can arise as a result of numerous factors. Many everyday activities can unknowingly result in chafing of your thighs which can worsen if not taken good care of.
Let’s have a look at all the potential causes of inner-thigh chafing in both men and women:
- Being obese or overweight does increase your risk of inner-thigh chafing as thick thighs are more prone to rubbing.
- While exercising your thighs rub against each other more as a result of which friction arises leading to chafing and rashes.
- Wearing clothes like skirts, shorts or tight underwear increases the risk of thigh chafing especially in women.
- Sometimes clothing items made from low-quality fabric or rough fibres and threads can cause skin irritation or chafe around the thigh area.
- Adults who have urinary health problems and use adult diapers can often suffer from rashes in inner thigh due to friction from the diaper material.
- The way you sit also increases the risk of acquiring this problem. People who sit with their legs crossed are at a greater risk of this issue.
- Performing hair removal procedures in the inner thigh area such as shaving or using hair removal creams may also make you vulnerable to inner-thigh chafing.
What are some symptoms?
There are several signs and symptoms of inner thigh chafing, the appearance of which is indicative of the presence of the problem:
- Slight bleeding
How to treat an existing inner-thigh chafing problem?
If you are suffering from chafing of inner thighs, we have a solution to your problem. Let’s see some of the possible ways to treat inner thigh chafing:
1. Medications: Several medications like antibiotics and anti-inflammatory agents are given to treat chafing on inner thighs in cases where the problem is severe and is a result of an infection. However, you must only take medications after proper consultation with a physician.
2. Home remedies: Several home remedies can help soothe skin irritation and some of them can become a really good remedy if applied constantly:
- Gentle application of petroleum jelly on chafed and irritated skin helps protect the area and promotes healing.
- Placing a cool and wet compress or cloth on irritated skin can soothe the skin and provide relief. Gently pat the skin dry after use.
- Applying certain powders like baby powder or corn starch keeps your thighs dry and soothes inflammation and irritation.
So far, there have been discovered numerous benefits of tea tree oil, as it is very useful in healing irritated and damaged skin. You can add some drops of tea tree oil to a regular oil such as olive oil and apply it to your skin. Tea tree oil can also be added to a wet compress and then applied.
Application of natural itch-relief products like aloe vera gel, natural astringents, and moisturizers can also help reduce symptoms and promote healing of the problem.
How to prevent reoccurrence of inner-thigh chafing?
Inner-thigh chafing is a problem that is more likely to reoccur if you do not take proper preventive measures. Let’s take a look at all the preventive ways with which you can avoid this problem:
1. Wear loose clothes while exercising. Tight and fitted clothes increase skin rubbing and friction that cause chafing. Hence, its better to wear spandex clothing and breathable fabric.
2. Keep your skin lubricated. Regular lubrication and moisturization of your skin with lubricating agents like oils and petroleum jelly reduce friction thus prevent chafing.
3. Keep your skin dry. The presence of moisture and wetness increases the risk of skin irritation and chaffing. Try to keep your skin clean and dry to prevent irritation and infections.
4. Keep your weight normal. If you are obese or overweight, try to lose weight. This is because thicker thighs are more prone to rubbing and chafing. Losing weight will increase your thigh gap and prevent chafing.
5. Use anti-chafing bands. When you wear shorts, skirts or dresses, your thighs are more likely to get rubbed and chafed. Try using anti-chafe bands. These bands prevent your thighs from rubbing against each other and are also quite durable.
6. Limit excessive sweating. Excessive sweating and wetness during exercise or working can lead to skin irritation. Try to limit this by using talcum powder. This can greatly reduce skin perspiration and keep you dry.
Although inner-thigh chafing may be a very common, discomforting and recurring problem there are many ways you can prevent it. Appropriate treatment and preventive measures can greatly help keep you away from the problem. Therefore, adopt our preventive ways and stay safe from inner-thigh chafing forever!